Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Using Window Light

It was a rainy afternoon. It would have been nice to shoot in the rain, but on second thought, NOT really. Autumn rain in California is coldest compared to the tropical rains in the Philippines which I am used to. Not only would the subject chill on these drizzles, but I most probably would freeze first, and also the camera would get wet and sick. I told Anamika (the East Indian beauty you see in above photo) to feel comfortable near my kitchen window, while I take her photo. I pulled back the venetian blinds, and the light fell softly on her face. Facing the window, she positioned her head where I want the light to fall, and the shadows where I want them to be.

When the window light was getting dim as the skies became more gloomy, I told Anamika to lean closer to the window to catch more of that remaining light available. Resulting shot has this washed/over-exposed effect, I like this effect as much as I like the natural and calm expression of her face. And of course those eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Galing galing :)

Anonymous said...

hi phoebe. i wanted to ask marc if you have a photoblog but i googled it first and voila!

i so admire your talent. i can only dream of taking beautiful photos of people the way you do.. i'll be coming back for more.. take care!

Jordyne said...

Hi, I am a college student who just bought at dslr and has fallen in love. I am going to be taking bridal pictures for one of my best friends and wanted to try window lighting. I do not have any studio lighting. Is there a certain time of day that you prefer to take photos from window lighting? I absolutely was amazed at your photographs. Incredible!